MVMC is back with more power! If you’re not aware about this tool, “Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter” is a utility which allows VMware virtual machine converting to HYPER-V. This tool has been one of the most requested one from HYPER-V fans and I also felt the need is high when we miss proper mass scale tool from Microsoft to migrate from VMware.
Migrating to VMware to HYPER-V adoption has been increased for the past few years time and that momentum will never get slow. Cite from the Microsoft web site as it is,
“Did you know that Hyper-V has had four times the growth of VMware’s ESX over the past three years? In fact, in a global survey of ~2000 VMware customers, ~50% indicated that they are also running Hyper-V¹. As such, virtual machine migration is an increasing priority for many customers as more and more are exploring and evaluating the Microsoft platform against their existing VMware installed base. Whether it’s virtual to virtual (from one hypervisor to another) or physical to virtual, migration provides customers a path for consolidation of workloads and services, and the foundation for cloud.”
¹ Source: IDC Worldwide Server Virtualization Tracker 2014Q1, and Official unofficial VMware storage survey, link here.
Some of the improvements in the latest release are,
- PowerCLI is no longer a requirement
- MVMC removes VMware tools
- MVMC migrates network IPs
- MVMC handles disk assignments
- MVMC is able to convert both Windows and Linux
- Added support for vCenter & ESX(i) 5.5
- VMware virtual hardware version 4 – 10 support
- Linux Guest OS migration support including CentOS, Debian, Oracle, Red Hat Enterprise, SuSE enterprise and Ubuntu
What I mostly like about this tool is Automation. Power Shell has been used most of the time to carry our entire conversion with less hands on during conversion time.
Excitement never ends with were you can migrate your converted VMs 🙂 Two more new features are,
- On-Premises VM to Azure VM conversion: You can now migrate your VMware virtual machines straight to Azure. Ease your migration process and take advantage of Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure with a simple wizard driven experience.
- PowerShell interface for scripting and automation support: Automate your migration via workflow tools including System Center Orchestrator and more. Hook MVMC 2.0 into greater processes including candidate identification and migration activities.
You can download the relevant toolset from below locations. Happy converting from VMware to HYPER-V 🙂