Sometimes back I mention about 5NINE company released a tool to convert VMware VM’s to HYPER-V. If you missed that you can have a look at that here. Now they’re back with V2.0 and all this for FREE 🙂
V 2.0 supports converting following VM’s from VMware to HYPER-V,
- Server 2008
- Windows 7
- Server 2003 (x86 & x64)
- Advanced Server 2000
As you can see in the above list Linux conversion also supported which is a welcome feature. When it comes to HYPER-V support let me highlight that from their own words,
”Free 5nine V2V Easy Converter can be used as a standalone tool on different versions of Windows Server, including Free Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 R2/SP1, Server 2008 Core, Windows 8/Server 2012 (2012 R2 new), Full and Core installations and does not require any additional software licenses.”
Some of the key features are,
- 5nine V2V Easy Converter does not require ‘removing’ the guest from the source VMware environment prior to conversion. Thus this version does not perform the ‘online’ conversion, but the downtime is much less than in case you need to store the guest in the library in order to migrate.
- 5nine V2V Conversion process is fast, effective and easy to use. Performance testing showed up to x10 times higher conversion speeds than the current competition.
- 5nine V2V Converter supports migration of the guests with different configurations, including large disk(s) and shared disks – these scenarios are specifically prone to the errors that other tools suffer from.
- 5nine V2V Easy Converter allows to modify the target guest configuration parameters, although the source VM configuration is preserved by default.
- 5nine V2V EasyConverter supports conversion of both WindowsOS, Ubuntu and CentOS VMs in most configurations.
- Additional logging information:
- Time Start
- Time End
- Bytes processed
It’s a known fact that most of the Enterprise companies who moved with VMware in large scale now turning back to HYPER-V to have a hybrid hyper visor model to manage the cost and as a stage migration method. During such period 5NINE software is indeed a welcome bonus for such companies.