I have seen so many questions keep on appearing in the forums regarding this GRT issue. I too personally face this issue and was searching in Symantec support forum and EE forum as well. Finally with the bits I’ve gathered managed to do a successful recovery and thought of sharing that information with others.
My environment – I’ve setup 3 VM’s in HYPER-V. One is a Windows 2008 R2 DC with CA server. Both forest and domain functional levels are 2008.
Exchange server 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 machine with typical setup method with all the updates.
Backup Exec 2010 with SP1 on a Windows 2008 R2 machine with all the updates.
Setup approach –
In the DC I’ve created a user account called BEAdmin and add that account to the domain admin group. Make sure that user account added to the local admin group of the Backup Exec server’s local admin group. After that I carried out the BE installation using that account. So that means BEAdmin have the relevant permission in the BE software.
In the Exchange server make sure there is an e-mail account created and send some sample e-mails to that and verify e-mails receiving for that account (This part is necessary for successful e-mail recovery when using Backup Exec software). After that I’ve added that user account to the Exchange Server’s Organization Management Group. This can be carried out by using the Role Based Access Control (RBAC) User Editor in EMC. You can find more information about it in the Symantec Support article But I didn’t had much luck doing that so ended up using the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC J
Below is a screenshot once you add the BEAdmin account to the Organization Management group.
After that go ahead with the BE console and carry out an Exchange backup job with GRT option selected.
Make sure the give account has the proper credential to access the resources in the Exchange server side,
Make sure you’ve selected the individual message restore option,
After that complete the exchange backup. Not having the BEAdmin account in Exchange Organization Management Group will throw you various errors. So make sure that account is added.
After that next screenshot demonstrate the individual message restore capability out of the full backup I’ve taken,
As far as I concern those are the only steps I’ve taken to make a successful backup and individual mail restore. Of course in my scenario I didn’t consider the Exchange DAB setup environment but the steps will be similar.