Microsoft has released the public beta of the next wave of System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM). This time VMM management console has significant changes compared to VMM 2008 R2. More weight has been given on Private and Public Cloud management apart from the in-house VM management capability.
Some of the new changes or rather I’d say add-on to the VMM 2012 are,
· Support for Xen hyper-visor apart from VMware
· Identify bare metal machines in the network and push OS to those machines.
· Use the VMM console to create a Hyper-V cluster from two or more stand-alone Hyper-V hosts that are managed by VMM 2012
· Create a private cloud by combining hosts and networking, storage, and library resources together
· Create a Read-Only Administrator user role
Complete list of new changes can be found over here. What is interesting is how VMM has been designed to combine with the Cloud adoption and management capabilities. If you’re coming from VMM 2008 R2 still you have plenty to catch over.
Next few weeks will be spending on delivering the new capabilities of the SCVMM in short videos. The first attempt of how to install the SCVMM video can be access from here.